Friday, June 25, 2010

*Excitement of Friday nights

I remember when I was younger how exciting Friday night were! What were you going to do? Who were you going to hang out with? Did you have a date? Plans would be made days in advance!!!

Now..I'm just old! And to me Friday nights mean I can sit on my couch and I don't have to worry about what has to be accomplished before I go to work the next day. I have been so tired recently (could be the 4-hours a night sleep schedule I have going on!) that all I wanted to do tonight was come home and sit! Didn't care what was for dinner.. just wanted to sit.

Mom had been down today to watch Madison and I knew that she and Brice wanted to go out to dinner. I didn't. Brice and I had gone and looked at a car last night and I really wanted to go see what kind of a deal we could work out. Brice was suppose to go pick his parents up from the airport earlier this afternoon, but they got pushed back on their flight and wouldn't be in until after 7 so car shopping was out! I conceded to dinner.

Brice left the restaurant for the airport. Mom and I came home. She loaded up her stuff and was on her way. So it was up to Madi and I to do the daily inspection! I am really enjoying my garden and chickens. I didn't think I would enjoy the chickens as much as I am, but that is among one of the first things I do when I get home from work is go out and inspect/let out the chickens.

The Monday before we left for Yellowstone I fertilized my garden. WOW has it grown! My tomatoes plants have shot up and gotten so large. Even the plants that were touched by the frost at the beginning of June! My squash plants are taking off as well. I love to watch it grow! Here are some pictures.



Madison is a LOVER of strawberries. In fact every night as we are inspecting the garden she is looking for strawberries to eat. She doesn't care if they are red or green! She wants them! I don't think anyone else is going to get any this year.. well any whole ones. I have eaten a few "left overs" and they are pretty tasty!



I love this picture! Such a cute face!

Sadie spends much of this yard investigation time watching/chasing the chickens. She just wants to play. In fact she really acts like a puppy with them. She just doesn't understand why they run away from her. She just wants to be one of the "chicks!" Poor dog....

Feeling quite left out of the group!


The past week or so as I have let the chickens roam the yard in the evenings after I get home from work. My white ones, Lily and Ivy, have started to become really friendly. Ivy (whom I was worried was a rooster) has taken to coming over to me. Even Brice commented on this the other day. If I am in the garden she will come over to the garden or where ever I am. She then will crouch down and let me pet her. Madi was running around the yard tonight and Ivy started following her running right behind. Poor Sadie.. she gets so jealous!


Anyway, Ivy was following Madi around and so Madi went to pet her. Ivy crouched to let her pet her and so Madi went in for the kiss! To cute! When I got close to Ivy again I noticed the feathers on her back were pink - from Madi's strawberry hands. Good clean loving!!!



Madi does the FUNNIEST little trick. If we are in the back yard and there is something in the house that she wants she will climb in the dog door. It is hilarious. One of these days I am actually going to get it on video or photos... she is so fast. By the time I notice she is doing it I can't get over to capture it, but this was as close as I got tonight. That is her little bum as she has fallen into the house.

The funny part comes in that once she is in the house she isn't sure how to get back out! She stands at the window and cries for me. Funny kid.

When Brice got home Madison was begging for a 4-wheeler ride. Brice drives around our back yard with her on. She says "wee" the whole time she is on it! She was just a giggling. She hates to have to get off it. Sadie once again just follows them around wanting to be in on the action.

Can you tell she is having a good time?
As I was finishing my nightly inspection I turned my attention to the chicken coop. I opened the hatch to check the food and water and I looked into the nesting box and guess what?



My first egg!!!!

I was so excited!! I really didn't think I would have any eggs til the middle to end of July. Usually around 20 weeks is when chickens start producing eggs. My chicks are only about 17 to 18 weeks, so I guess it is time, but still I was quite surprised and excited. I had to call mom and tell her! Brice took a couple of pictures of me with my egg. Let me just throw this out as a disclaimer... .the other picture was worse! :)
The egg is quite small right now. My egg is the egg on the right, but they will continue to grow in size. I am so excited! Can't wait to taste it. Everyone tells me the taste of a home grown egg is so much better than a store bought one! I'll keep you informed!

0 comments: