This morning when I went to start Madison's antibiotics, it wouldn't go. This meant only one thing...her vein had collasped. I called our home health nurse just to make sure. She confirmed my worst thought. We would have to go to Primary's to get the IV restarted. First we had to go see Dr. Cox (the peditrician).
We got to Dr. Cox office and weighed Madi again. She has lost 13 oz since being born. Every baby loses weight after being born, but this was concerning to Dr. Cox. She had me feed Madi while there and then we weighed her again. I am not producing enough breastmilk. It's enough to keep Madi hydrated, but not enough to sustain life. Dr. Cox told us to go and buy a pump. I have to pump inbetween feeding to make my body produce more milk. Another bump in my road of motherhood! Dr. Cox wrote us out a plan of action, including supplementing with formula to help Madi gain weight and get some food! We are to come back on Saturday to make sure her weight is headed up.
We then loaded into the car again and headed to Primary's. It's pretty sad when you are on a first name basis with almost everyone on the IV team at Primary's when your daughter is only 6 days old! Amazingly they found a vein, and got in on the first stick! This time they were able to find a vein in her hand. That will make doing the IV easier! Here is a picture of her after we got the IV place and got home. Isn't it just sad? As we were in the waiting room there was a little boy, 2 years old on oxygen. When I asked his dad about him he told me that he had been born with only 1/2 a heart. He was going to have his third open heart surgery! It put in perspective just how insignificant our little problem is, but it still is hard to watch your brand new baby suffering!
Thursday, October 9, 2008
*Primary's AGAIN!!!
Posted by Catherine at 4:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Cassie- this is making me so sad- your little princess being stuck so many times. You seriously need to email me your email so i can invite you to my blog. I just realized you have more than one friend named kristin so lets put it this way email the princess at kandfro@gmail.com so i can invite you! Miss you
She is so precious! I can't wait to see her in person!
Post a Comment