Monday, October 6, 2008

*Going Home

Today Madison and I were released from the hospital. It was such a great day! I had a cute little outfit to take her home in. Brice picked us up and we went home and had a great afternoon as a new little family....

oh wait... I was dreaming....now for what really happened....

Friday night (10/3/08) Madison and I both had a fever over 101. Because she was in my uterouse for 26 hours after my water had broken, we both got an infection. They did some blood tests on both of us and decided we both needed IV antiobiotics. I only had to have the antiobiotics for 48 hours. Madison's blood work came back with an high infection marker. They decided Madison needed to be on the antiobiotics for 10 days total. Two days in the hospital and 8 days at home. They told me they would need to change Madison's IV just before we went home, and then one other time during the 8 days.
I was getting ready to go home, showering, packing, etc., when the nurse from the Nursery came in to tell me that she wasn't able to get an IV started on Madi because her veins kept collasping. She told me we would have to go to Primary Childrens Hospital to get the IV done there because she didn't want to stick Madi any more. I could appreciate that, but wasn't excited to have to go Primary's. I called Brice to tell him of the news.
The nursery nurse came back to tell me that since we were going to Primary's they were going to do a PICC line instead of just an IV. That way we wouldn't have to worry about having the IV redone later in the week, and we also wouldn't have to worry about her viens collasping.
We finally left Salt Lake Regional and headed to Primary's. We went to the lab to have the PICC line placed. When we got in the room with the IV team they told us that they were unable to place the PICC line today and we would have to come back tomorrow. They looked in both her hands and feet for a vein. They finally found one in her foot and we were on our way.
Brice dropped us off at home and then had to go to LDS hospital to give his mom a blessing. About 8pm the home health nurse came over to show us how to administer Madi's IV medication. She was very nice. What a horrible day! On the plus side... she did look cute in her "go home" outfit! I love this face!

2 comments:

Shy Little Violets said...

I didn't let them take Owen to the nursery once while I was at the hospital. I got NO sleep! I'm glad I didn't let him leave my side though, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

kristin said...

cassie i am so glad you emailed me because i lost my receipt that i wrote down all that info and i hadn't called you yet! look at that cutie! oh my heck! i will send you an invite to mine! and will you email me kari and crystals info too! CONGRATS on madison- beautiful