Okay... so getting out of the house with a new baby takes ALOT of time!!! This morning was my first attempt. It took a long time (like 3 hours!) We had to be at the pediatrician's office at 10:45am. She looked Madi over and said all looked great. She weighed 8lb 6 oz today.
From there we went back to Primary's. We got there, got registered and sent into the room where the PICC line would be done. We then got to wait 45 mins before they were available to come perform the procedure.
They got Madi all prepped and then we doped her up on "Sweat Ease". It is a sugar and water solution that works like an anesthetic on infants. I was able to help (I administered the sweat ease) and watch. When placing this type of IV they use ultrasound to find a vein and guide the catheter into the vein. This is done in the bicep of the arm. Well Madi has a lot of arteries and very few veins in her arm.
After an hour and a half of them trying to get into a vein, I told them they were done. The only other way of having the procedure done was to put her under general anesthesia. They then inject a die into the vein in the hand and watch as it goes into the veins. I wasn't keen to the idea on general anesthesia on my 5 day old daughter, plus she would then have to spend the night, and I wasn't about to leave her there either!
Anyway.... we will just have to manage with peripheral IV's. Hopefully all will go well and we will only have to come back one other time to have the IV changed. This was about the whole of the day. Long, upsetting and not very fun!
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
*Another Long Day
Posted by Catherine at 10:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm so sorry, I'm glad you had enough sense to tell them that that was enough. I think you are smart to make those kind of decisions, your babe can only handle so much and I think with rest she'll be just fine.
It must brake your heart to watch your sweet little girl hurt. Good job and telling them enough! It is always so hard to watch then hurt, and as times goes on you worry even more. I love being a Mother, it's the best thing God has ever given me, but the part were I worry all the time is so hard too. I will keep you both in our prays. I hope everything goes good with the IV, and you can all be done with it soon. She is so beautiful. I love the picture of her in her dads arms, a few posts down. Her little face is so adorable.
There is nothing more upsetting than having your new baby poked and prodded. Hang in there!
Cassie- I am so sorry that it was such a nightmare! There is nothing like getting poked a bizzilion times as we both know, but watching your little baby get poked a bizzillion times is worse! I hope little madisons life is going better!
Post some photo's of Maddie!!! What kind of new mom are you anyway - I wanna see some pictures!! I was sure you'd have tons of 'em on your blog by now. You know - Maddie sleeping, Maddie burping, Maddie having a bath, Maddie turning her head, etc, etc.
Post a Comment