Wednesday, September 10, 2008

*Weekly Visits

I had a Dr. appointment today. 36 weeks today!!! I'm now on my weekly visits. However because of my "Advanced Maternal Age" (okay... can I just tell you how much I hate this phrase. Just call me old!) I now get to have a non-stress baby test and an ultrasound at each of my visits. This wouldn't be a bad thing except for the fact that my visits will now be at least two hours!! Really....my boss loves this!!!

So Brice and I get to the doctors office, and the MA hooked me up to the monitor. They need two sizable movements to make sure the baby is moving sufficently. After the MA hooked me up to the monitor she then handed me a capri sun fruit punch and told me to drink it! She told me the nurse would be in to check me in 10 minutes. When the nurse came in she asked if I had been given a drink. I said yes. She said the baby was asleep, she put a little vibrator against my tummy and told me it would help the baby wake up. She said she'd come back in another 10 minutes.

She came back...there had been one sizable movement. She said that after forty minutes, if we didn't have the movement we needed we would have to go to the hospital for another test,she would come back in another 10 minutes. I was poking my belly, shaking it.. everything I could think of. She continued to monitor until the forty minutes was up and then took the printout to my doctor. She came back and said that they had the info. they needed and we would now go do the ultrasound.

We got downstairs to the ultrasound machine and she started to do the ultrasound (this was to measure my anmiotic fluid to make sure the baby still has enough to support her), the baby started in with hick-ups!!! Are you kidding me...if she would have done this earlier... child already has a mind of her own! Plenty of fluid was the result of the test. Did really get to see much on the ultrasound, the nurse was only trained to measure the fluid. We did get to see her hand up by her face, could see her ear and nose.

Then I got to experience the checking of the cervix. My good friend told me it wouldn't be fun. She was right!! My cervix is soft, and I have started to dialate...but only half a centimeter. Baby not coming this week! I get to go through this again next week. I'm going to eat some serious sugar before going again!!

1 comments:

Shy Little Violets said...

I always hate that when something like that raises their eyebrows and then they send you down to the ultrasound machine. It would always make my heart race. I'm glad everything is ok and you are making good progress. Hopefully it won't be much longer. Just hold off till after the 20th k?