Saturday, July 5, 2008

*Independence Day

I love the 4th of July. I love everything about it. The fact that I get the day off work, I can do WHATEVER I want, the family get tether's, the BBQ's, celebrations and of course the FIREWORKS! What I love most about the 4th of July is that most Americans take the day, or at least some time in the day to reflect on their freedoms this land offers them. They take a minute to think of the men and women who fight for those freedoms, as well as the cost of those freedoms. This is almost a daily thought for me. The cost of freedom.

I am very grateful to all the men and women who stand on the front lines and fight for what this country represents, and I'm grateful for a President who had the balls to go after those that threaten this land and the freedoms we have. I won't turn this into a political rant, but I ask you... What have you given for your freedom? What have you given for your rights and privileges this country has offered you? My family has given the ultimate sacrifice...My Brother!

My brother Nate is my ultimate American Hero. He LOVED this country. Nate had so much passion in his life! Passion for everything, but especially this country. I remember one time talking to him on the phone while he was in Iraq and he told me "Cath...you can't even imagine what it's like over here. What these people live through!" Even while living in the terrors of war Nate thought it was important for us to be there.

When I said the Pledge of Allegiance and heard the national anthem for the first time after returning home from my mission, it brought tears to my eyes. We have so much here in this country!! We take so much for granted. I still tear up every time I hear the Pledge of Allegiance. For my freedoms, and also because of Nate!

It has become a family tradition of my Aunt and Uncle's family to celebrate the 4th of July at the Oakley Rodeo. Luckily for me they have included my family in this tradition. This year we started before the rodeo with a tailgate party. It was really fun! The rodeo was great as always, and good fireworks at the end.

Before the Rodeo begins they have the rodeo Royalty ride around the arena with the American Flag. Then someone sings the National Anthem. As the girls were riding around the arena with the flags the MC was talking about our great country and the men and women serving over seas to fight for our freedoms. He then said please take a moment and remember all those lost to this great cause. My dear sweet cousin Jenny worked her way down the bench to me. When she got there she put her arms around me and whispered "Thank you for your families great sacrifice for this country!" It made me cry! Even as I write this it makes me tear up again!!!

I love Nate, I miss him so much! I miss his easy smile and his bear hugs!! I miss hearing him say "I love you kiddo!" However I am so grateful for the men and women like him, who put themselves in harms way for our freedoms! I couldn't do what they do, don't want to! Toby Keith has a song called "American Soldier" there is a part that says "I will always do my duty, no matter what the price. I’ve counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice. Oh and I don’t want to die for your, but if dying’s asked of me. I’ll bear that cross with honor, cause freedom don’t come free." I know there are many men and women that feel this way. They want to come back to their lives, and families, their hopes and dreams. However they also know the possibility they could die and they face that fear for US! I have so much respect for those that wear this countries uniforms!! Thank you to all those that serve. I am so grateful for you.

1 comments:

Shy Little Violets said...

Tears come to my eyes thinking about what your family endured. I thank you as well for giving him for our freedoms. Many more lives will be lost i'm afraid before we see an end to all this, if we ever do that is. I love you and your family. It's because of Nate that I feel so much more pride for my country than I ever have before.