Sunday, August 10, 2008

*IMSN8 (I Miss Nate)

On the morning of November 18, 2003 at 12:30 am I awoke to my brother-in-law knocking on my bedroom window. I immediately knew something was wrong. I rushed to the front door, my heart racing. I opened the door to find two men in uniform standing there. I dropped to the floor crying. That night changed my life. The two men were there to tell me that my brother Nathan had been killed while serving in Iraq.

Nate was my best friend. It was such a blow to my entire family. It was then that we became members to an exclusive club. Members of the Gold Star Families. When you have a service member serving, you are a member of the Blue Star Families. When that loved one is killed, the star is changed to Gold to honor the fact that your loved one has given the ultimate sacrifice. A very good friend of mine, Jan, who's son was also killed in a training exercise a year after Nate became the President of this club. One of the things she accomplished while serving in this position was to get a licence plate to honor these great men and women. Mom and I got to be there when Govenor Huntsman signed the bill into law.

A few weeks ago while Brice and I were out I saw a Gold Star Plate on a car. Brice said "You need to get yours." On Thursday mine arrived in the mail, Brice immediately went out and put them on my car. I love them! Thanks babe for putting them on for me!

1 comments:

Kristin said...

That is a cool license plate! What a great idea, and a neat way to honor your brother.